Archive for September 2016
The European RCE Meeting 2016 (#RCELondon2016) took place at London South Bank University (LSBU) on 23-24 June 2016.
Hosted by the London Regional Centre of Expertise (RCE) on Education for Sustainable Development (ESD) and LSBU, this two day event was attended by nearly 50 participants and most were representatives from 17 RCEs across Europe, which are part of the global RCE network of the United Nations University.
The first day of the meeting began with a brief outline by Professor Ros Wade (Chair, RCE London) and Professor Pat Bailey (Deputy Vice Chancellor and Sustainability Lead at LSBU) welcomed the participants to LSBU.
During the day, the participants focused on finding synergies in the European RCE community and on tackling thematic challenges under the current policy frameworks COP21, SDGs (Sustainable Development Goals) and TTIP. Moreover, they strived to identify the roles that RCEs can play in the GAP (Global Action Programme on ESD) and SDGs while exploring opportunities for collaboration within RCEs and beyond. They also considered the challenges that lie ahead.
In the meantime, they did not forget to share and celebrate the excellent work that European RCEs are doing across the continent, sometimes with non-European partners.
Among the key elements of the first day’s programme were:
- Setting the global context – Implications for RCEs | Dr Hugh Atkinson (Schumacher Institute of Sustainable Solutions)
- Poster session: RCEs – state of the art: What is going on in Europe?
- Report back from visit to UNESCO | Dr Jaya Gajparia (LSBU)
- Working groups (world café) on key issues and GAP/ SDG priority areas
- Transition Town Movement: linking local communities, local action with global issues | Hilary Jennings (Transition Town Movement)
- Workshop: Skills for ESD | Dr Glenn Strachan (LSBU) and Betsy King
Day Two, with a focus on celebrating Refugee Week, mainly comprised a workshop and discussion forum on the issue of migration and refugees and implications for the role of RCEs. A draft position paper ‘Education as a Tool for Responding European Refugee Crisis’ prepared by Dr Pinar Guner (LSBU) was discussed by the participants.
Among the key elements of the second day’s programme were:
- Refugee Stories | Alia Alzougbi (HEC Global Learning Centre, London)
- Key points from and purpose of the draft position paper for RCEs | Dr Pinar Guner (LSBU) (Resource person: Professor Gaim Kibreab, LSBU)
- Group Discussion: What is the role for RCEs? | Facilitators: Ros Wade and Lynn Vickery
- Preparation for the next Global RCE Conference | Facilitators: Lynn Vickery and Hugh Atkinson
A report of the meeting was sent for dissemination by the RCE Service Centre.
The next European RCE meeting will be hosted by RCE Dortmund in Germany in 2018.
European RCE Meeting 2016 | LSBU London, 23-24 June https://londonrcenews.wordpress.com/2016/06/14/european-rce-meeting-2016-lsbu-london-23-24-june/
Global RCE portal http://www.rce-network.org/portal/
RCE London: Profile http://www.rce-network.org/portal/london
ESD London Conference | London RCE holds its first annual conference on ‘A Curriculum for Sustainability’ https://londonrcenews.wordpress.com/2014/06/15/esd-london-conference-london-rce-holds-its-first-annual-conference-on-a-curriculum-for-sustainability/
London RCE’s ESD London Conference | Employability, Society & the Environment: A Curriculum for Sustainability https://londonrcenews.wordpress.com/2014/02/12/london-rces-esd-london-conference-employability-society-the-environment-a-curriculum-for-sustainability/
Launched! A book containing a chapter on the RCE movement https://londonrcenews.wordpress.com/2015/02/22/launched-a-book-containing-a-chapter-on-the-rce-movement/
Some of the previous meetings of the London RCE Partners /Steering Group:
https://londonrcenews.wordpress.com/2013/03/25/london-rce-holds-inaugural-agm/ (inaugural AGM in March 2013)